We’re closing Free Your Mind and Try Again #trytry. This experiment was not completed, the first iteration draft was shared and everyone on the team gave feedback, although not everyone rated it for how compelling the first draft was.
Overall,l, Jodie will keep working on this piece of writing, connecting the dots between her other writing from the Jodie Jeopardy Experiments, #jodiejeopardy.
We had our second #pulse call today with Miles River. We tested our alignment around what we mean when we talk about porosity within the STP Network. In checkouts today and last week, there was agreement of improved alignment after the call.
We had a rapid response call this morning and 3 network members joined and shared! #callafriend.
Also Scott asked to join a Wye text group!
Headlines: Wye Design Meetings, Comms, & Miles River Meeting, 9/27
Communication with Wye List Serv – This week
- EEK re: Design Team meeting & Synthesis & Convos
- JT to Wye Design Team with List of LIO Alums to spur thinking re: Who to invite and involve
Before Oct 7
- Sharing Draft POP, Sept 22 (ish)
Following up on asks?
- Inviting Andrea and Amy to Design team
- One on One with lists of Who Else to engage with. – who is doing what and by when? Miles River to pick up the slack here.
Oct 7 Wye Design Call (eden out)
- Feedback on 2017 POP
- Who Else
- Sharing integrated version of POP with Wye River List serv- EEK
- Additional guests one on one conversations and confirmations
Oct 28 Wye Design Call
- Who – have list of “who else” will be attending Wye River
- Success Spectrum for Nov 2017 meeting
- Follow Up
Nov 17 Wye Design Call
- Close loops and help get Design Team aligned together as a team headed into the meeting
Miles River Debrief
- Miles River Processes as Experiments
- Working Agreements Review re: how are we working together and individually?
- Mindsets and Assessments of our progress: how do we want to grow our individual and collective approaches/mindsets to the work, our becoming our next iteration of Miles River culture
- Your input is welcome
- Meeting all day on 9/27 at 101 Broadway with happy hour at Plank afterwards.
Overview: Today we had our first Wye Design Team call since before the March 2016 Meeting. We’re heading into a very busy period and I hope these headlines can help clarify at an appropriate altitude what is currently happening with our Miles River Design. Stay tuned as items may change, shift or pivot quickly 🙂
Communication with Wye River
- Re: Design Team and Synthesis Team high level update, ( EEK to write and send on Monday, 9/19).
- In one month share more concrete straw dog of POP for 2017 plan to entire Wye list post vetting and feedback from Wye Design Call on 10/6
Synthesis Next Steps
- Difficulting in scheduling any more synthesis calls, due to Amy’s schedule
- Expecting minimal new data for synthesis team to look at, the juciest conversations may now be on the Wye River Design calls.
- Invite Amy and Andrea to join the Wye River Design Team and be on calls moving forward.(Timeline: once vetted with Wye Design Team)
POP for 2017
- EEK will do the heavy lift of synthesizing the input from the Wye Design Team and the reflecting back a POP for 2017 that the Wye Design Team can give feedback on during Oct 6th call.
- Questions, ideas, and feedback are welcome. Opening for this during Miles River meetings and also via slack, etc.
Scenario’s re: who is MilesRiver reaching out to in terms of who else to involve in Wye River with priority to those who Wye River leaders would consider inviting to Nov Meeting.
- Scenario A: Move forward with list of people we have and involve the Wye design team
- Scenario B: Put out another ask to the entire Wye list. Remind them about the STP directory. Point them to identify people folks who might fill some of the gaps identified, e.g more state based people. Possibly give them a spreadsheet to look through.
- Scenario A and B are not mutually exclusive.
Scenario A & B both result in list of people to engage before the November Meeting.
- For Design Team (Scenario A) or All of Wye River (Scenario B). We have asked Wye leader repeatedly for input on who else they want to involve and we have a list of people (See list below). Now is the time to schedule calls with these people. (Timeline: email to design team in the next week)
- Here is a skeleton high level of what we’re talking about, the conversation at hand.
- We have a meeting coming up at end of November in Maryland, still working out who we can and cannot invite and are you available these dates just in case?
Purpose: We want to have a conversation and get important stakeholders insights, we may formally invite them to Wye River Meeting in November.
- EEK send out email to Design Team (Scenario A) or Wye List (Scenario B) within the week.
- Divvy up who is talking to who , giving Wye Design team first dibs and Miles River to fill in the gap.
- Synthesis team invited to join Wye Design calls and Nov meeting (vetted, EEK to think about how it works with weirdness re: Andrea and Amy are on design team list).
Outcome: Notes from these conversations. People have the dates saved. We gauge their interest in participation. Continue involvement of XMY and non-principals in meaningful way in Design Process.
- Rashad Robinson, Color of Change
- Edith Sargon, Wellstone
- Working Families Party
- Movement for Black Lives
- Democracy Initiative
- Marisa Franco, Mijente/Lanzate
- Jacqui Patterson, NAACP
- Vien Truong, Green For All (note GFA was previously in Wye)
- Nikki Bas, The Partnership for Working Families
- Michael Leon Guerrero
- PUSH Buffalo
Miles River Debrief Day
On 9/27 Miles River has an in person all day debrief. Alison will be leading the design and facilitation of this process. The purpose of this meeting is to pause and reflect on how we’re working together and make meaning together, cull out learnings thus far, and identify cultural and/or tactical shifts or improvements. We’ll take time to reassess our working agreements with each other, reflecting back on our work since June and look ahead to our work through December. In addition, we’ll look at the Miles River Design process so far as an overall experiment and within that frame pull out what lessons we’ve learned in order to integrate them into our future work. Please send suggestions to Alison or bring them to a Miles River Meeting.
#mediatedmirrors. Posting for mediated mirrors has been difficult in terms of finding press pieces that represent a variety of Wye Leaders. Eden and I discussed posting a clip of Heather on MSNBC talking to Gary from North Carolina that was going viral on facebook. We didn’t, but it was sent to the Wye River list serv by another leader with the subject line, “Heather, you are rocking it”. That same day there were four responses about how impactful this media segment was.
I saw and thanked Jon at Forward Together for his help with Wye River. I showed him the video of Eden and Edwin’s meeting in NYC and previewed that Eden is going to connect them since they do similar work. He was excited and is going to be in NYC soon. He referenced how having a connection with Edwin could help foster more organizational connection between Forward Together and 350.org, especially between EDs.
Priorities: Keeping the big picture in our sight and connecting the dots for Wye Leaders, including the design team, is a priority. This includes explaining the “What For” of one on one conversations, a values based agenda, and more broadly the existence of Wye River. Each member of Miles River can articulate this story in unique ways and we’ll be posting our articulations on this blog.
Experiments: Next iteration of Every Batman Needs a Robin is up and includes Eden meeting with assistants while on the East Coast. We have 5 active experiments, that are trying out different ways to track this process and encourage engagement!
Synthesis: Andrea from NWDA is joining this team while Jodeen has had to step off. Initial synthesis will happen before the first synthesis call on 9/8.
Conversations: We’re at 7 convos for August and we don’t know of any others scheduled. Our goal is 10 conversations. We may shift to additionally reach out to individuals whom we need input from over the next month.
No Miles River Meeting this week.
1 on 1 conversations continue: Notes from Annie and May’s conversations are up and May and Miya also spoke, although we don’t have notes for that yet. Eden met with Edwin from 350.org. No conversations scheduled on Ms. Miles calendar for this week. We are encouraging people beyond the design team to have conversations with each other but haven’t learned of any convos yet. Eugene proposed that one direction for the first quarter of 2017 might be to have Wye Leaders continue to have one on one conversations but with a specific partner. Jodie and Heather connected yesterday, see Wye Design notes for details!
Our synthesis call was canceled. Amy is set to reach out to peers about Wye. There is a substantial amount of data to synthesize which is great news for starting to draft a 2017 plan for the November Wye Meeting.
New experiment called Mediated Mirrors is up as is a 4th iteration of WhatsApp.
This week we’re back at full roll call for our Miles River Meeting!